Somehow this episode became all about art inspired knitting or the other way around.
I talked about my current sweater projects and knitting a new skirt for myself. I also share about my first attempt at freeform crochet.
We’re available on both iTunes and Podcast Alley. Just check for “Cloudy with a chance of Fiber.”
My first attempt at freeform crochet
Filed under Art, Challenge, Craft, Creativity, Crochet, Knitting, Podcast, Stash, Stuff I made, Sweater, Techniques
Now I’m going to take that old piece of advice that you stick to in polite convesations… whatever the subject… do not mention “Size.” Thus we will not be talking about the “size”…of our stashes ;). Instead, the aim of this discussion is to help us all come up with ideas for using excess yarn. It’s always fun to gab about yarn isn’t it?
Questions for 12/9’s #knitchat:
Q1) Introductions: Who are you? Where do you hail from? Ravelry ID?
Q2) Tell us your favorite stashbusting story? Did you get rid of excess yarn or repurpose yarn for another project? Did you donate it?
Q3) Do you have an suggestions for what to do with tiny bits? >25 yards? Excess sock yarn?
Q4) What is your favorite regular stashbusting project? Is there a pattern?
Q5) Any non-knitting or crochet related things we can do with yarn? Both real and imaginative/fanciful answers are okay?
Q6) Ideas for upcoming #knitchat topics?
Where: Twitter (follow the #knitchat hashtag)
When: December 9nd. 5 PM PST/8 PM EST (1 hour)
Who: Me you and other Twitter Knitters/Crocheters & Fibercrafters
How: Need a primer on Twitter Chat… check this out: What does this Twitter chat thing look like?
Notice I added an extra question and that’s what are some topics you’d be interested in learning more about (or maybe venting like say about complicated lace or just lace in general)? Its nice to have the discussion partially generated by the community and I’m sure you all have a lot to talk about… when it comes to fiber.
Some ideas for topics I’ve come up with are:
- All about gauge and weight
- Needles (what works for you & what doesn’t, etc., kinds of needles)
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve done while knitting?
- More Ravelry use tips and discussion
Resolving to use my creative energy to figure out what to do with all this yarn
Okay, I’m going to keep a score card of things I’m knitting from my stash. I have to admit… I need to focus on using what I have. The first step to dealing with any addiction is admitting that you have a problem. I just knew that I had to stop when I found myself engaging in the behavior of buying plastic tubs on a regular basis. To be honest, I only started thinking about this because a current project necessitated me looking for a long lost (perhaps even mythical) cone of Artfibers yarn leftover from a sweater I knitted last year. I realized I had way too much stash when I literally couldn’t sort through what I had to find the damn cone of pink and purple yarn.
I’ve decided that I’m going to keep a score card of all things knitted from the stash. For many people keeping lists is what separates them from devolving into mindless and chaotic animals. Since I’ve been a rather lame blogger as of late. I’ll just return back to this post to relate my progress or not post to share my lack of. I could research some fancy knitting widget or plug in, but… screw it. I’m just going to do things the old fashioned way… bullet by bullet. Besides I know myself well enough to understand that if the list gets too long or complex I’ll just run away screaming. Sorry, I probably let you into my psyche a little too much there.
- Tam from Silky Wool (3/4 skein teal green)
- Fossil Crocheted Neckwarmer (from Kim Werker’s Crocheted Gifts) – 100% in Di’Ve Autunno 3 balls
- Fossil Neckwarmer in Elsbeth Lavold Silky Flamme 2.5 balls
- Baroness Beret – 1.5 skeins Elsbeth Lavold Angora
- Exfoilating Washrag (crocheted) – .5 skeins of Fibranatura Flax
Started (includes percentage complete:
- Branching Out Scarf from SIlky Wool (1 & 1/4 skein teal green) – 40%
- Black Cavern Cardigan from Panda Bamboo (10 skeins of black) – 90%
- Crocheted Market Bag – 1.5 skeins of Fibra Natura Flax
- Tunisian Crocheted Scarf – Universal Poems 3 skeins
<<<<Crap, my list isn’t very long… need to work on this>>>>
UFO (previously discarded unfinished objects) recently picked up:
- Lace Top from 5-6 balls of Knitpicks Palette (From Scottish Highland Knits) 75%
- Dr. Who Scarf out of 18-20 balls of Elann Peruvian Highland Wool(commissioned by a friend) 70% This thing is supposed to be 27 feet long… yeah right… I’m stopping at 20.
- Kilamajaro Sweater (in Cascade Pastaza): 45%
Lace Top -been hibernating for at least a year or so